The Stewardship Department of Southern Highlands Conference under Tanzania Union Mission of the Seventh –day Adventist Church, is seriously committed to create an environment of faithfulness and integrity among church members in its entire territory. Hence enabling them achieve this higher goal.
As God’s servants in this Department we are commissioned to helping church members to individually acknowledge and accept the lordship of Jesus Christ as they integrate fully His presence in their entire lives as we prepare them for eternity.
The mission of the Stewardship Department of Southern Highlands is to emphasize the lordship of Jesus Christ, to enhance the integration of the gospel into the Christian lifestyle, to encourage faithful stewardship among church members, and to facilitate the individual, corporate, and leadership dimensions of stewardship as partnership with God.
Seeing quality Christians continuing to grow in a wholistic manner in the etire Conference.
The departmental objectives are integrated and have a living connection to church organization; they are not to be counted as solely independent. Down here is the list of seven major objectives:
- Raising the percentage of faithful tithe returners from 40 % to 80 % by the end of 2011, and at least 95% by the year 2015.
- Having full support of members in giving offerings systematically, as required by the Church Organization, and support on various mission projects.
- Developing effective visionary church leaders and revitalize the dormant competences in local churches of the entire Conference.
- Establishing successful entrepreneurs and sound business persons not for conspicuous consumerism but for the glory of God.
- Having quality, competent and active strategic planning for a sustainable missionary work and effective spiritual nurture in the entire Conference and the globe sphere.
- Having church members demonstrating the Adventist life style for their own benefit and the society around them.
- Having church members properly manage time as they balance their daily life endeavors and church activities.
Implementation of the Objectives
In collaboration and consultation with the Conference officers the department is aiming to accomplish the above listed objective goals though the following methodology:
- Visionary Leadership Training Seminars: This shall include both the clergy and the laity at their consistent levels. Some of the trainings will be conducted to a specific group for more effective results. Training personnel on spiritual formation (discipleship) and stewardship education, developing resources to strengthen the wholistic approach to stewardship, continuing implementation and further development of the stewardship certification as an ongoing process as well as the refinement and enhancement of the stewardship curriculum are a key priority in the whole process.
- House to House Visitation Ministry Emphasis: In carrying the spiritual nurturing of church members, an active house to house visitation ministry is inevitable in both the training and practical aspects. This shall be done on quarterly, bimonthly, monthly, weakly and daily bases depending with the key focus and expected achievement.
- Effective use of Annual Weeks of Stewardship Emphasis: The two weeks of stewardship and spiritual emphasis shall be effectively and timely used as a means of promoting wholistic and sustainable growth among church members in every local church. Both qualitative and quantitative attendance shall be highly promoted to ensure individual and collective enrichment.
- Conference Stewardship Camp meetings: The use of stewardship camp meetings has proved successful and evident fruitful results. This is normally done once per year whereby, church members from different parts of the conference gather in two different centers for multidimensional training and workshop in a diverse approach. Contemporary crucial matters such as serious spirituality decline, global economic crisis, human injustice, increasing divorce rate and marriage crisis, Land laws and many others are deliberately addressed.
- Total involvement of The District Pastors and the Lay Leaders: For a successful and comprehensive program like this, full involvement of pastors and lay leaders in performing most of the functions is inevitable. Hence leaders at all levels, the clergy and the laity shall be fully involved to accelerate the plan. It has been proved that “a successful leader without a successor is a total failure.” So a special program of trainers of trainees shall soon be established to facilitate the process.
Evaluation for the entire strategy shall be done at two major levels: collective and individual levels. In the collective level there shall be evaluation for the program and group participants evaluation. In the individual level evaluation shall be done on specific individuals where by each participant shall be evaluated by other people and shall also undergo own self evaluation process.